Indie Gems: Hollow Knight
May 28, 2017
Starting this week, we'll be occasionally writing about Indie games that are a true delight to play; Basically, games that deserve more attention than what they're getting. We're breaking the ice with Hollow Knight, a fantastic Metroidvania platformer developed by Team Cherry.
Why you should play it
- Metroidvania done right!
- Huge, atmospheric world to explore
- Lots of boss fights that are truly challenging
- Impressive enemy variety
- From-zero-to-hero concept that makes you want to keep playing
- Excellent controls and response time
- Music that never gets in the way
What might put you off
- It takes time for the game to really "get going"
- Occasional difficulty spikes that are downright ridiculous
- It's Metroidvania: you either love the backtracking or despise it!
- No regular saving - must use predefined save points
Plays similarly to
Any Metroidvania game (but more polished than most); Ori and the Blind Forest, Cave Story, La-Mulana