Indie gems: Wargroove
February 03, 2019
Remember Advance Wars? The turn-based tactics video game that thrilled many owners of the Nintendo GBA and DS consoles. Charming, easy to pick up, difficult to master... just some of the things one can say about this great series. And yet, for some reason, the last installment was released 11 years ago. Even though fans kept asking for more, no new sequels were released... up until now. Enter Wargroove, a game that lets you "command an army, customize battlefields, and challenge your friends, in a richly detailed return to retro turn-based combat!"
Based on initial impressions, it seems that people are always hungry for some good ol' turn-based warfare. That, plus one cannot ignore the fact that Wargroove is a polished game oozing with charm. And the gameplay is as addictive as you'd expect.
Why you should play it
- It's basically Advance Wars on PC!
- Single-player campaign is fun.
- Great audio and visual presentation throughout.
- A ton of extras and unlockables.
- Arcade and puzzle mode are a nice bonus.
- Hotseat multiplayer for up to 4 people.
- Cross-play across PC, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
- Impressive level (and campaign) editor.
- Insane value for the price ($19.99).
What might put you off
- Single-player progression can sometimes feel slow.
- Lots of room for AI improvement.
- Four factions, but not enough variety.