Indie Gems: Risk of Rain 2
March 31, 2019
There's no doubt that Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is the game everyone is talking about these days. It's a great spiritual successor (or not) to Dark Souls and another testament that singeplayer games can offer a ton of quality content. But we're not gonna go into details about what makes Sekiro a great game. Many other websites have already done that. Instead, we're gonna be focusing on Risk of Rain 2, the "classic multiplayer roguelike" game that promises that "no run will ever be the same with randomized stages, enemies, bosses, and items."
And based on the initial feedback from gamers, it's definitely a title you should add to your wishlist. That's why we decided to check it out ourselves and here's what we have to say about it so far (take note, the game is still in early access).
Why you should play it
- Early access went live with a "buy one, get one for free" deal during the first 48 hours.
- Even though in early access, game is incredibly polished.
- Great transition from 2D (Risk of Rain 1) to 3D.
- Fast gameplay, tons of enemies coming at you.
- Several unlockable characters with many more promised down the line.
- Even though essentially a co-op game, singleplayer can be equally fun.
- Multiplayer community is thriving.
What might put you off
- Early access title. You may want to wait for the "whole package".
- Occasionally feels like there's still a certain lack of content (this should change as developers work on the game).